Hello! My name is Zoe and I am coming towards the end of a PhD in Planetary Science at the Open University. Now I am looking to utilise my skills in writing, design and data analysis in new sectors. I am organised, punctual and meticulous, ensuring each task is completed to the highest standard within the deadline. Equally I am eager to learn, and am determined when faced with a challenge.
My future career ambitions revolve around Environment / Sustainability! I want to be a part in creating a greener innovative future for businesses and the public!
Work Experience & Education
- PhD in Planetary Science: Exploring experimentally whether ancient life on Mars could have been ejected from its surface impacts and then deposited on its moon Phobos. I have a technically driven, critical and innovative mind that has proved crucial during my PhD.
- Author for Rockwatch Magazine: Author of articles for a geology magazine aimed at primary school aged children. Inspiring and engaging the next generation is a vital and rewarding role to play in the scientific community.
- BSc(Hons) Geology with Planetary Science - University of Manchester - First Class
- A-levels - Geology (A Star), Extended Project (A Star), Physics (B), Chemistry (B), Mathematics (B)
- Proofreading & Editing: My PhD has required an extremely high standard of writing - I can critique, correct and review a broad range of texts from technical to creative and personal writing. I have reviewed research abstracts, publications and articles.
- Literature review: Critically reviewing literature to find trends and knowledge gaps is critical to my PhD research. I am highly skilled at searching and gathering supporting information.
- Content writing: I have extensive experience writing for both technical and public audiences, including: conference abstracts, research publications and technical articles, as well as, outreach magazine articles, blogs and social media posts aimed at adults and children, with SEO experience. Take a look at some example works
- Content creation: I have experience generating figures and visual aids to my research (see examples above) using PowerPoint, Canva and CorelDRAW. I always ensure my content is suitable for individuals with impaired vision and colour-blindness
- Data analysis: I have extensive experience in data analysis in Excel - producing professional and consistent figures and graphs to demonstrate scientific outcomes.
- Experimentation, Method Development and Innovation: During my PhD I have designed unique experiments to investigate a hypothesis including developing new methods and protocols, training on a range of experimental and analytical instruments, and thinking outside of the box when experiments do not go to plan.
- Social Media: Confident with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn platforms.
- Collaboration: Extensive experience collaborating with OneDrive, Google Docs & Sheets.
- Website design: Experience making websites with Wix.
- Event management: I have been on the organisation committee and facilitated several workshops and outreach events. I also volunteered at the Commonwealth Games Birmingham 2022 which presented collaboration and problem solving challenges that needed to be overcome.
I cannot wait to get started on a new task, if you would like to have a chat please book here.