Hello! My name is Sarah and I'm studying for an MA in Translation Studies (French-English) at the University of Birmingham. I also have a BA(Hons) in French and Classics from Oxford University and extensive professional experience of tasks including research, writing, proofreading and general admin. I'm now pursuing a long-term career change as a freelancer and would love to hear from you to discuss how I can help your business.
- Languages: I'm fluent in French and have basic knowledge of Swedish, Finnish and Spanish
- Proofreading and editing: I hold a Distinction in an ITOL-approved course from the London School of Publishing in editorial and proofreading skills, and have successfully used tailor communication approaches to support colleagues in drafting briefings, correspondence and papers.
- Research and analysis: whilst working in the financial sector, I've conducted in-depth market analysis, including risk assessment and strategic planning. I'm a naturally curious person and am now enjoying applying these skills to my MA course.
- Written communication: in my professional career I've written published reports, compiled complex briefing notes and papers for senior internal stakeholders and drafted external correspondence. As an avid reader and language lover, though, I also have a creative side and engage in creative writing as a hobby.
Financial Conduct Authority - various supervisory roles including Lead Associate
- Oversaw the effective delivery of proactive and reactive supervisory strategies across a variety of retail lending business sectors.
- Led on complex market analysis and risk-management reviews, from initial research to data presentation, stakeholder briefing and strategy implementation.
- Responsible for coaching and developing junior team members, with a particular focus on improving drafting and analytical skills.
Advertising Standards Authority - Investigations Executive
- Ran investigations into UK advertising practices, applying relevant policy rules and making recommendations to Board as to compliance.
- Produced written reports on findings, following house style and ensuring functional adequacy for the target audience.
- Developed and maintained specialist knowledge on specific advertising sectors, liaised with industry experts and delivered briefings to colleagues.
Administrative roles in various publishing companies
- Responsible for note-taking, diary management, correspondence and inter-departmental liaison.
- Developed and practised skills including proofreading, sales and invoicing.
Photoshop / Illustrator
Arts / Culture
Investment / Finance
Health / Wellbeing
Policy / Law
Sports / Outdoors
Startups / Entrepreneurship
Travel / Cuisine
NGOs / Activism
Environment / Sustainability